ADA/504 GRIEVANCE PROCEDURE
Southern New Hampshire University has adopted an internal grievance procedure providing for the prompt and equitable resolution of complaints regarding any action prohibited by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and/or by the Department of Education regulations implementing Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended (29 U.S.C. 794). Section 504 states, in part, that "no otherwise qualified individual with a disability...shall solely by reason of his or her disability, be excluded from the participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subject to discrimination under any program or activity receiving federal financial assistance...."
Complaints should be addressed to the following:
ADA/504 Compliance Officer, c/o Wellness Center, Southern New Hampshire University, 2500 N. River Road, Manchester, NH 03106-1045
Phone 603-645-9679 Fax 603-645-9711
Grievance Procedure Steps:
1. The University encourages the informal resolution of concerns and will assist any individual with that process. The University is also committed to the prompt investigation and resolution of concerns pertaining to the civil rights of individuals attending the University, employed by the University or participating in University functions, of which it is aware regardless of the filing of an actual complaint. If an individual is dissatisfied with that resolution attempt or wishes to forego an informal resolution, an individual may follow the more formal process below.
2. A complaint must be filed in writing, contain the name and address of the person filing it, and describe the alleged violations of the regulations with specific factual information. The Compliance Officer will provide assistance to any person whose disability interferes with filing a grievance in writing.
3. A complaint must be filed within 30 working days of the alleged violation.
4. The ADA/504 Compliance Officer or his/her designee will conduct an investigation, as may be appropriate, following the filing of a complaint. These rules contemplate informal but thorough investigations, affording all interested persons and their representatives, if any, an opportunity to submit evidence relevant to the complaint.
5. The ADA/504 Compliance Officer will issue a written determination as to the validity of the complaint and a description of the resolution, if any, and forward a copy to the complainant no later than 20 working days after the complaint is received.
6. The ADA/504 Compliance Officer will maintain the files and records of Southern New Hampshire University relating to the complaints filed.
7. The complainant may request reconsideration of the case in instances where he or she is dissatisfied with the resolution. The request for reconsideration must be made within 10 working days to the ADA/504 Compliance Officer who will forward it to the ADA/504 Compliance Committee which will involve other university officials as deemed necessary. The ADA/Compliance Committee will render a final decision within 20 working days of receipt of the complainant’s request for reconsideration.
These rules will be construed to protect the substantive rights of interested persons, meet the appropriate due process standards and ensure that Southern New Hampshire University complies with the ADA and Section 504 and their implementing regulations. Any of the above time frames for the University may be extended if the University determines there are extenuating circumstances. Examples of extenuating circumstances include university holidays and vacations, witness unavailability and circumstances outside the control of the University. Under such circumstances, the ADA/504 Compliance Office will notify the complainant in writing as to the delay and a projected date for resolution.
ADA/504 Grievance Procedures
ADA/504 GRIEVANCE PROCEDURE
Exeter Hall, Suite 59
Director: Hyla Jaffe