Applying for Financial Aid

Who should apply for financial aid?

Every student who would like help with college costs. Do not assume you are not eligible for financial aid. Review the information below and apply for financial aid today!

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid

SNHU’s School Code is 002580
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) asks for basic information to determine your eligibility for all the financial aid programs sponsored by the Federal Government.  The FAFSA is available after January 1st of each year and must be completed annually so SNHU can determine your renewed eligibility for Financial Aid.  The quickest and most efficient way to file the FAFSA is online.

To be eligible for federal financial aid, you must meet the requirements for each of the below:

  • Enroll as a degree-seeking student
  • Be a U.S. citizen or an eligible noncitizen
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress
  • Not be in default on a federal educational loan
  • Not owe a refund on a federal educational grant or loan
  • Register with Selective Service (if you are a male born on or after January 1, 1960, over 18 years of age and not currently in the armed forces)
  • Possess a high school diploma or equivalent

Determine if you need to include your parent’s information if you are applying for financial aid

For financial aid purposes, the federal government must determine if you are required to include your parent’s information when you apply for financial aid.  If you can answer “no”   to all the below questions, you must include your parent’s information on the FAFSA:

  • Were you born before January 1, 1991?
  • As of today, are you married?
  • At the beginning of the 2014-2015 school year, will you be working on a master's or doctorate program?
  • Are you currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training?
  • Are you a veteran of the U.S. armed forces?
  • Do you have children who will receive more than half of their support from you between July 1, 2013 and June 30, 2014?
  • Do you have dependents (other than your children or spouse) who live with you and who receive more than half of their support from you, now and through June 30, 2013?
  • When you were age 13 or older, were both your parents deceased, were you in foster care or were you a dependent/ward of the court?
  • As of today, are you an emancipated minor or in legal guardianship as determined by a court in your state of legal residence?
  • At any time on or after July 1, 2011, were you an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or at risk of being homeless?

Federal Student Aid PIN

If you are filing the online FAFSA, you can sign the form electronically by using your Federal PIN. Students and parents who have not previously applied for a PIN are able to apply for a PIN within the FAFSA application.

If you filed a FAFSA in a previous year and have forgotten your PIN, you can request a duplicate on the PIN website.

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

To complete your FAFSA online, visit: the FAFSA websiteSNHU's school code is 002580.

After completing your FAFSA, print the FAFSA Confirmation Page for your records. If you have already completed a FAFSA for another school, click on "Make a Correction to a Processed FAFSA” and add SNHU’s school code - 002580.

You will need your previous year tax information to fill out the current years FAFSA.   With the IRS Data Retrieval Tool the Department of Education makes it easier than ever to submit this information.

The Student Aid Report (SAR)

Your Student Aid Report summarizes the information you submitted when you filed the FAFSA and indicates your Expected Family Contribution (EFC).  If you have filed the FAFSA electronically, you will receive an e-mail with a secure link for online access to your Student Aid Report.  After receiving your Student Aid Report check it for errors.  The Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) listed on your Student Aid Report will determine the amount of financial aid you may be eligible to receive.

Submit additional documents, if needed, to complete your Application for Financial Aid

During the Financial Aid Process, there are many times when additional information may be required to complete an application for Federal Student Aid.  When SNHU receives your FAFSA information, we will review it and contact you for any additional information that we may need to review.  Please respond promptly to any request from SNHU for additional documentation.
The U.S. Department of Education selects approximately 1/3 of all financial aid applicants for verification.  SNHU is required by the Department of Education to request certain documents that ensure the accuracy of selected students FAFSA. 
If your account is missing information or was selected for verification, SNHU will send an e-mail to your e-mail account outlining missing information/requirements that may be preventing financial aid from being awarded or disbursed. Please respond in a timely manner to allow for the awarding and release of any financial aid that you may be eligible to receive.  Financial aid awards will not be created until this process is complete. 

Contact Us
One Stop

Office Hours
Mon-Thu: 8am - 6:30pm
Friday: 8am - 4:30pm

Phone Hours:
Mon-Thu: 8am - 6:30pm
Friday: 8am - 4:30pm

Phone: 877.455.7648
Fax: 603.645.9667

Location: Exeter Hall
2500 North River Road
Manchester, NH 03106