Stafford Loan Information

SNHU participates in the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program.  Direct federal loans are fixed-rate student loans for undergraduate and graduate students attending college at least half-time. Federal loans are the most common type of financial aid to assist with paying for school.

Federal Loans are available to all students who submit a FAFSA.  Please review your SNHU Financial Aid award letter for the amounts you qualify for. For more information on terms and interest rates, please visit the Federal Student Aid website.

Stafford Loan Instructions:

Students are required to sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and complete online Entrance Loan Counseling (ELC) before receiving a Stafford loan.

If you are a first-time borrower at SNHU:

Step 1: Complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN)

  • Go to and log in using your Federal Student Aid PIN.*
  • Select "Complete MPN" or "Complete Master Promissory Note"
  • Select the "Subsidized/Unsubsidized" link.
  • Enter your personal information and references, review the terms and conditions and then sign and submit the form.
  • SNHU will receive notification within 24 hours that this has been completed.

Step 2: Complete Entrance Counseling session

  • Go to and log in using your Federal Student Aid PIN.*
  • Select "Complete Entrance Counseling"
  • Start the entrance counseling – It should tale about 30 minutes to complete.
  • Select the student type that reflects your academic program (Ex. ‘I am an undergraduate Student’ or “I am a graduate student”)
  • Read the "Guidelines" and enter the "School Information"
  • Complete the "Counseling Session and Quiz"

*If you do not remember your PIN, you can access it online at

If you are a returning student and have already completed an MPN in the past, you will not need to complete a new MPN or Entrance Counseling.

Limit the Amount you need to borrow: Reducing and declining your Federal Direct Student Loans

After you receive your award letter, you may find that you do not need all of the loans you qualify for to cover the current years tuition and expenses.   To reduce future loan debt you may cancel these amounts by writing a statement indicating the amount you wish to cancel or reduce. Sign it and mail, fax or upload the statement to the Financial Aid Dropbox.

Additional information

Subsidized vs. Unsubsidized Loans: What is the difference?

Subsidized Stafford Loans are awarded based on financial need. With a subsidized loan, such as the Perkins Loan or the Subsidized Stafford Loan, the government pays the interest on the loan while the student is in school, during the six-month (or nine month for the Perkins Loan)grace period and during any deferment periods.

Unsubsidized Stafford Loans is loan for which interest is not paid by the government. The borrower is responsible for the interest on an unsubsidized loan from the date the loan is disbursed, even while the student is still in school. Students may avoid paying the interest while they are in school by capitalizing the interest, which increases the payoff amount of the loan.

Stafford Loan annual amounts

Award amounts are based on cumulative credits earned toward a specific degree program. Annual borrowing limits for dependent undergraduates are $5,500 for freshman (zero to 29 credits), $6,500 for sophomores (30-59 credits), and $7,500 for juniors and seniors (60 or more credits).

Independent undergraduate students can borrow an additional Unsubsidized Stafford loan of $4,000 in their freshman and sophomore years and up to $5,000 in both their junior and senior years.

Graduate students can borrow up to $20,500 each year.

Your financial aid award indicates the annual amount of federal Stafford Loans you are eligible to receive. 

Lifetime borrowing limits

When you graduate with a graduate or professional degree, the maximum total debt allowed from Stafford Loans is $138,500. No more than $65,500 of this amount may be in subsidized loans. This maximum total graduate debt limit includes Stafford Loans received for undergraduate study. These amounts are the maximum yearly amounts you can borrow in both subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford loans. The current interest rate, established by the federal government, varies but will not exceed 8.25 percent. 

You can view the total amount you have borrowed in federal loans at

Repay your Loans

After you graduate, drop to a less than half time status, or are no longer enrolled in a degree seeking program, repayment will begin after your six month deferment period ends.  Visit to learn more about the payment plans, payment deferment, and payment forbearance options that are available to you. 

Loan Servicer

A loan servicer is a company that handles the billing and other services on your federal student loan. Your loan is assigned to a loan servicer by the U.S. Department of Education after your entire loan amount is disbursed (paid out).  The loan servicer will work with you on repayment plans and loan consolidation and will assist you with other tasks related to your federal student loan. It is important to maintain contact with your loan servicer. If your circumstances change at any time during your repayment period, your loan servicer will be able to help.  For more information about loan servicers, visit the Federal Student Aid Site.

Contact Us
One Stop

Office Hours
Mon-Thu: 8am - 6:30pm
Friday: 8am - 4:30pm

Phone Hours:
Mon-Thu: 8am - 6:30pm
Friday: 8am - 4:30pm

Phone: 877.455.7648
Fax: 603.645.9667

Location: Exeter Hall
2500 North River Road
Manchester, NH 03106