Financing Your Master of Fine Arts Education: Frequently Asked Questions

Get Adobe Reader
Adobe Reader is required to view PDFs. Download Adobe Reader for free.

I have been accepted in the MFA program, when will I receive my financial aid award letter?

Once you have been accepted into the MFA program an award letter is created within 2-3 weeks after your acceptance. If you are a new student enrolling into the MFA program, an award letter will be mailed to the address we have on file for you. All students returning to the program will receive an email communication indicating that an award letter is now available through my.SNHU (Your student portal – Don't worry; we'll introduce you to it when that time comes). Award letters are not mailed to returning students.

Will my financial aid cover my personal and travel expenses before the program begins or prior to the start date of the term?

Financial aid is disbursed after a term/program begins and not before. A student must be actively enrolled and attending courses within a term before financial aid can be disbursed.

How will I be notified should your office require additional information from me surrounding awarding me financial aid?

If you are selected for federal verification by the Department of Education, our office will contact you directly via your personal email account and communicate the required documentation needed to proceed with awarding your financial aid.  Students also receive their Student Aid Report (known as a SAR) from the Department of Education with a notification that they have been selected for verification.  All required documents need to be received, and the process can take up to four weeks to process once all required documents have been received.

How do I receive the excess financial aid funds that have been disbursed toward my student account (tuition, residency, and fee's)?

Students who are eligible to receive additional financial aid funds that exceed the cost of their program are eligible to receive financial aid funds in the form of a refund.  All financial aid refunds are processed through a student's SNHUOne card, which is delivered by mail to all students and acts as a debit card. If a student receives excess funds due to a credit card payment, the excess funds are returned to the original paying credit card and not the student's SNHUOne card. Even though a refund has been processed within an active term, it is still the responsibility of the student to ensure that all future financing is secure for future registrations.

When will I receive my billing statement?

Paper statements are mailed to each student on a monthly basis with account information as of the 1st of the current month. Electronic billing statements are made available through my.SNHU and provide the most up-to-date and current account information.

Why doesn't my billing statement include my future registration?

Students must be registered for a course in a future term in order for their billing statement to reflect the appropriate billing associated with the term.  If a student is not registered for future courses, the corresponding billing will not be reflected on the billing statement.

Kimberly Monical in the One Stop is your MFA contact for any further questions regarding billing and financial aid. Contact her by emailing or by calling (603)626-9100 ext. 2188.
Contact Us

Administrative Director: Lisa Janicki


Phone: 603.626.9100 x 2540