Social Security Number

You need a Social Security number to work in the United states, even on campus. The Social Security Administration will only assign Social Security numbers to students with documentation certifying that they have an on-campus job or are authorized to work under one of the categories listed under the employment sections of this web site.

You will need to bring the following documentation with you to the Social Security Administration to apply:

  • Passport
  • I-20 or DS-2019
  • I-94

You will also need ONE of the following:

  • Job offer letter on department letterhead and ISS certification letter (for on campus work)
  • Job offer letter on company letterhead and CPT authorization on your I-20 form (for F-1 student internships)
  • Valid employment authorization card for F-1 Optional Practical Training or F-1 Economic Hardship
  • Job offer letter on company letterhead; AT or Economic Hardship authorization on your DS-2019 form and ISS certification letter (J-1 only)

Once you have the necessary documents, you will submit your application on Form SS-5 with the Social Security Administration closest to where you live.  There is no fee to apply.