Scholarships & Financial Assistance for
International Students

Students applying for admission to SNHU may be eligible for merit-based scholarship awards based on previous academic achievement. All students must complete the scholarship application for consideration.

Scholarship applications must be received at least 30 days prior to the start of the term of enrollment.

International Student Scholarships

Penmen Merit Scholarship: Available to all new students

Community College Transfer Scholarship: Available to students transferring from community colleges in the US.

SNHU Branch Campus transfer Scholarship: Available to students transferring from one of our overseas locations.

Young Women's Leadership Scholarship: Available to women from developing countries who exhibit strong academic and personal leadership qualities.

European Scholarship: Available to short-term (1 year or less) students from European schools with whom we have a partnership agreements.

European Transfer Scholarship: Available to students transferring into junior or senior year at SNHU from European based institutions.

Double Degree Merit Award: Available to students transferring from colleges or universities with whom we have special agreements with like 3+1 or 1+1 relationships.

International Scholarship Application

Additional Scholarships Available

Charles and Barbara Bickford International Scholarship:  The scholarship shall be awarded to graduate or undergraduate international student(s) studying on the Manchester campus.  Preference will be given to students with demonstrated financial need in the following order: students from Vietnam or Cambodia, students from Southeast Asia or China, then lastly from other foreign countries. 

Biesek/Smith Scholarship: This fund was established in by John and Catherine-Ann (Smith) Day in memory of Catherine-Ann’s mother, Mildred K Smith and Helder Biesek, a former student of Catherine-Ann’s at the Institute for Language Education (ILE) who was killed in a tragic accident before completing his education. While still alive, Mildred K. Smith earnestly desired that this scholarship be established in Helder’s memory to enable future students at the ILE to continue their education at Southern New Hampshire University. The scholarship supports international students enrolled in the University's English as a Second Language program based on academic potential and financial need.

Hassa Jadvani Memorial Scholarship: supports students enrolled in the Graduate School of Business. Preference will be given to Sikh or Hindu students of Indian descent enrolled in the International business or Finance curriculum using standard need and academic criteria. In a year when there are no deserving needy students majoring in the indicated subject areas, the awards may be presented to other students enrolled in the Graduate School of Business.

Li Xu Scholarship Fund: This fund was established in memory of SNHU student Li Xu (a/k/a Oscar).  This scholarship is awarded to undergraduate or graduate students who demonstrate the strong giving and sharing spirit of Li Xu by showing their commitment to the needs of new students.  Scholarship applicants should demonstrate their interest in helping new students understand the academic culture of the University and social culture of New Hampshire in an effort to assist them in adjusting to the University.  This scholarship is open to both International and U.S. students.

Application for these scholarships will be available in January.

Financial Assistance Options

Financial assistance for international students applying to SNHU is limited. Most forms of financial aid are subsidized by the U.S. Government, and therefore, are open only to U.S. citizens.

However, international students are eligible for the following:

Student Employment

Any full-time student is able to work on campus for a maximum of 20 hours per week when classes are in session.  Jobs are available on campus, but it may not always be possible to have a full 20 hours all the time; new students may have difficulty finding a job with limited previous work experience and being new to campus. Therefore, earnings from employment should always be viewed as a supplement and never as being crucial to meeting the expenses of studying in the U.S. due to its unpredictability.

Resident Assistant

Openings to be a Residence Assistant become available from time to time. These positions require living in a campus residence hall and being responsible for assisting students on a floor. RA awards include a scholarship, a stipend, and a reduced rate on a single room accommodation. Normally a student will not be eligible until after their first year.

Athletic Scholarships

These scholarships are available to outstanding athletes in basketball, cross-country, lacrosse, soccer (football), tennis, baseball, softball, and volleyball. Scholarship amounts vary and are determined by the coaches.

International Student Loan Program (Private Loans)

If you have family or friends living permanently in the U.S. you may qualify for the International Student Loan Program, which offers loans for up to the full cost of your education. Repayment terms are up to 25 years. This loan is available for both graduate and undergraduate programs, but not for Intensive English. The primary condition is that the student has a family member or friend who is a citizen or permanent resident of the U.S. That person must be willing to co-sign or guarantee the loan.

For further information and application materials:

OPT - Optional Practical Training

Upon graduation, F-1 international students are eligible to extend their student status in order to work in the US for up to 12 months (for certain science subjects it could be up to 29 months). Students can work at full time, full paying positions related to their course of study in companies anywhere in the US. This affords an opportunity to recover some of the investment in your education.

Contact Us
International Admission

2500 North River Road,
Manchester. NH, 03106, USA
Phone: 603.645.9629
Fax: 603.645.9603