Wellness Housing F.A.Q.'s

What is wellness housing and how is it different from other residence options on campus?
Wellness housing is a specialized housing option for students who wish to live in a contracted, substance-free area and who have an interest in their own personal health and well-being. The only differences between this residence option and others available on campus are that students (1) must apply (PDF 80 kb) and be accepted to the floor, (2) contract to keep substances outside of their living area, (3) limit use to that allowed by law, and (4) participate in social and educational activities for the residents (minimum of two programs per semester).

Where is wellness housing located?
Wellness Housing is located in Chocorua Hall, centrally located in the Upper Suites area of campus. See building #10 on the campus map.

Are wellness housing and the Wellness Center the same thing?
No. Wellness housing is a specialty housing provided by the Office of Residence Life. The Wellness Center is the department on campus to serve students' health, counseling and health education needs. As the focus of Wellness Housing is on personal improvement, staff from both offices are involved in the selection of residents and in generating program ideas; but, primary management of the area is with Residence Life staff.

What happens if I violate the Residence Agreement?
Students found responsible for an alcohol or other drug violation or a guest violation of the Alcohol and Other Drug Policy will be relocated to another residence area on campus on the first offense. Violations of community living standards outlined in the agreement are handled on a case-by-case basis, generally allowing a student time to modify their behavior before removal is considered.

Does the floor have 24-hour quiet hours?
No. The quiet hour rules for Wellness Housing are no different than other resident areas on campus. "The university enforces quiet hours in its residence areas, as below:
Sunday through Thursday:
9 p.m. to 10 a.m.
Friday and Saturday:
1 a.m. to 10 a.m.

During these times, you may play radios, televisions and stereos only at a low level and only with your room doors closed. Out of consideration for other students, you must keep noise to a minimum. If you gather together in halls or common areas, you must be aware that other students may be studying or sleeping. In a community living environment consideration for one's neighbors is of extreme importance.

During other times, you should observe "courtesy hours." Courtesy hours, defined as hours of reasonable quiet, are to be maintained at all times. During courtesy hours, you are expected to keep noise at a level, which will not disturb neighboring residents, including those living on other floors and in other buildings. You are expected to anticipate and respect the needs of other students, specifically the need to live in an environment conducive to sleep, study and individual wellness.

During the final examination period (starting at 9 p.m. on the last day of classes), 24-hour quiet hours are in effect. Special quiet hours will be set during graduate programs final exams as the need warrants." (SNHU Student Handbook)

Is there a certain type of student that lives on the floor?
No, there is no certain type of student that lives on the floor. Residents are of varying ages, class status level, majors, interests, experiences, and they come from all over the world. The uniqueness of the floor comes from this diversity. It is the only place on campus where you regularly find a mix of grade levels living in the same area.

What do I have to do to apply?
The application process consists of a written application form and interview (by phone or in person). For more information, visit the section on the selection process.

Do you have to apply each year to live on the floor?
Yes, students are asked to reapply each year for the floor. With each subsequent year in Wellness Housing, students are expected to assume increasing leadership roles in acclimating new residents to the floor and in programming initiatives.

I am a new student coming to school this next semester. I was accepted to the wellness floor but now I have changed my mind about living there. Can I get assigned to a different place on campus?
New student assignments are made in early May. Students who change their mind about living on the floor should notify the Office of Residence Life in writing or by email by May 1st. After this date, the options for change are limited and subject to availability.

What if I find that I don't like living on the wellness floor? Can I move to another room on campus?
The university has an open room change period the third week of the fall semester, the first week of December, and the third week of January. The room change periods are publicized by flyers, posters, and the university web site. Room change questions during other times of the semester are handled on a case-by-case basis through the Residence Director in your area. All room changes are based upon availability of openings and the university has final approval.

Contact Us

Location: Student Center
Phone: 603.645.9679 or 603.645.9616
Fax: 603.645.9711
Email: wellness@snhu.edu