Studies show that when students are given an early, formal introduction to higher education, they are more likely to experience satisfaction and to graduate. The Learning Center at Southern New Hampshire University is offering a pre-college program called "JumpStart", to provide this introduction. JumpStart is an early entrance/summer bridge experience for first-year students designed to help them make a satisfactory transition to the SNHU experience and enhance their chances for academic success. Piloted in August 2007, JumpStart is offered to all incoming first-year students; however, enrollment is limited to the first fifty eligible applicants. As a residential program, all participants will live on campus during the week.
The 2015 JumpStart program will run Monday, August 24 through Friday, August 28, 2015 and will include the following:
- Workshops, tours, and other informational activities
- Social activities
- A one-week early arrival to campus with early check-in for Fall housing assignments
- Interaction with a wide variety of campus resources: peers, faculty, staff, advisors, and administrators
- Early familiarization with campus policies
Workshops will center on academic preparedness and will include but not be limited to:
Introduction to Academic Writing, Goal-setting and time management, Math Study Skills, Technology, and Academic Reading, to name a few.
You can expect the following benefits
- Get a strong academic start
- Gain the tools for a successful university experience
- Meet other students and make friends early
- Learn your way around SNHU
- Learn about SNHU’s programs and resources
- Participate in study skills workshops
- Understand SNHU’s policies
- Learn how to set goals and make informed decisions
- Learn how to manage your time
- Make connections with SNHU faculty, staff and administrators
Cost: $450. This fee covers all workshops, room and board, social activities, and instructional costs.
Application Deadline: June 1, 2015; however, JumpStart is limited to the first 50 accepted participants and may therefore close before the application deadline.
For more information, please contact Lori DeConinck, Director/The Learning Center at 603.629.4619 or firstname.lastname@example.org.