Financial Aid for International Students

Financial assistance for international students applying to SNHU is limited.  Most forms of financial aid are subsidized by the U.S. Government, and therefore, are open only to U.S. citizens. However, international students are eligible for the following:

1. Student Employment

Any full-time student is able to work on campus for a maximum of 20 hours per week when classes are in session.  Jobs are available on campus, but it may not be possible to have a full twenty hours all the time; new students may have difficulty finding a job. Therefore, earnings from employment should always be viewed as a supplement and never as being crucial to meeting the expenses of studying in the U.S. because of its unpredictability.

2. Resident Assistant

Openings to be a Residence Assistant become available from time to time. These positions require living in a campus residence hall and being responsible for assisting students on a floor. RA awards include a scholarship, a stipend, and a reduced rate on a single room accommodation. Normally a student will not be eligible until after their first year. 

3. Merit Scholarships

New international students may be eligible for merit awards based on previous academic success. Several awards are available for different populations. Applications must be received at least 30 days prior to the start of the term of enrollment. 

  • Penmen Merit Scholarship: Available to all new students
  • Community College Transfer Scholarship: Available to students transferring from community colleges in the US.
  • SNHU Branch Campus transfer Scholarship: Available to students transferring from one of our overseas locations. 
  • Young Women's Leadership Scholarship: Available to women from developing countries who exhibit strong academic and personal leadership qualities. 
  • European Scholarship: Available to short-term (1 year or less) students from European schools with whom we have a partnership agreements. 
  • European Transfer Scholarship: Available to students transferring into junior or senior year at SNHU from European based institutions. 
  • Double Degree Merit Award: Available to students transferring from colleges or universities with whom we have special agreements with like 3+1 or 1+1 relationships.

Please download the scholarship form and indicate for which scholarship(s) you would like to be considered (a maximum of two choices will be allowed).

4. Athletic Scholarships

These scholarships are available to outstanding athletes in basketball, cross-country, lacrosse, soccer (football), tennis, baseball, softball, and volleyball. Scholarship amounts vary and are determined by the coaches.

5. International Student Loan Program (Private Loans)

Do you have family or friends living permanently in the U.S.?

The International Student Loan Program offers loans for up to the full cost of your education. Repayment terms are up to 25 years. This loan is available for both graduate and undergraduate programs, but not for Intensive English. The primary condition is that the student has a family member or friend who is a citizen or permanent resident of the U.S. That person must be willing to co-sign or guarantee the loan.

6. OPT - Optional Practical Training

Upon graduation, any international student is eligible to extend their student status in order to work in the US for up to 12 months (for certain science subjects it could be up to 18 months). Students can work at full time, full paying positions related to their course of study in companies anywhere in the US. This affords an opportunity to recover some of the investment in your education.

For further information and application materials: 

Contact Us
One Stop

Office Hours
Mon-Thu: 8am - 6:30pm
Friday: 8am - 4:30pm

Phone Hours:
Mon-Thu: 8am - 6:30pm
Friday: 8am - 4:30pm

Phone: 877.455.7648
Fax: 603.645.9667

Location: Exeter Hall
2500 North River Road
Manchester, NH 03106