Skip to main content
A student visinting the SNHU website

Transfer FAQs

Who is considered a transfer student?
If you have completed 12 or more college credits, typically after high school graduation, you'd be considered a transfer student.

How many credits transfer?
We offer generous transfer credit policies where students can transfer up to 45 credits toward an associate degree and up to 90 credits toward a bachelor's degree. An official credit evaluation is completed for each student as part of the application review process. You'll receive your official transfer credit evaluation upon acceptance to the university. Courses with a grade of C- or higher are generally transferrable. (For campus students, the cumulative GPA of coursework at the institution must be a 2.0 or higher for it to be considered for transfer.) Courses must be at the college level from an accredited institution and must fit the requirements of your degree program.

For a bachelor's degree, students must complete 30 credits at SNHU - including the final 24 - with four of those classes (12 credits) within your major. For an associate degree, students must complete their final 15 credits at SNHU, with three of those classes (nine credits) within your major.

Can I graduate with honors from SNHU?
Graduation with distinction from Southern New Hampshire University is awarded to students who meet the GPA requirement and who have completed a minimum of 60 credits of SNHU coursework in a bachelor's degree program or 30 credits of coursework in an associate degree program. Specific GPA requirements for various honors recognitions are noted in the academic catalog. Additional questions may be directed to the Office of the Registrar.

Online Transfers Only

How will the university help me transition to attending classes online?
Students transferring into our online college will work with a designated admission counselor and new student academic advisor to assist in the transition to online coursework. We also offer courses like SNHU 107 (Success Strategies for Online Learning) to help you get acclimated to our online classroom.

Campus Transfers Only

How will the university help me transition to attending classes on campus?
Along with connecting you with your transfer admission counselor, we'll set you up with our team of Student Financial Services financial aid counselors and academic advisors to help with your transition. We also host three orientation programs for transfer students who are studying on the main campus:

  • Summer orientation in mid-June for students starting in the fall semester
  • Spring orientation in January for students starting in the spring semester
  • First Days Programming in late August

These programs are required for all full-time undergraduate day transfer students. The programs focus on social, academic and personal transitions that students face when going to college.

Who transfers to SNHU?
As we look at your application, our first consideration is your college academic performance. Many successful transfer applicants have a cumulative college GPA of 2.5 or higher (on a 4.0 scale). We also look for well-rounded students who have a variety of interests and have been involved in school, community and/or professional activities.

For residents: How is housing assigned?
Incoming resident students will receive information about housing preferences through an online portal, myHousing. Here, you will be able to select your housing preferences, declare a roommate or find someone with similar interests, and complete your Residence Agreement forms. We factor in the number of transfer credits completed, age and your preferences when we assign students to housing. For more information, email