Skip to main content

Getting Started as a Military Student at SNHU

Best for Vets 2023Enrolling at Southern New Hampshire University as a military student, spouse or veteran is easy. When you apply to SNHU, you'll work with an admission and financial aid team that specializes in your military background and needs. Here's how you can get started:

Step 1: Review military benefit eligibility.

  • If you are currently serving in the U.S. Armed Forces,
    • Contact your military branch's education office to find out what benefits are available to you.
    • Work with your education officer to set up your paperwork in preparation for Tuition Assistance authorization and any other potential benefits, like the GI Bill®.
  • If you are eligible for VA education benefits and have not yet applied, you will need to complete an application for benefits through Please retain a screenshot of the confirmation page once your application is complete.
  • If you have previously used your VA education benefits at another institution, you will need to complete a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training in order to update your current education benefits. Please retain a screenshot of the confirmation page once complete.

Step 2: Review Costs and Apply to SNHU.

  • You should understand the cost of tuition, fees and books for attending SNHU.
  • Apply to one of our online degree programs. (If you plan to attend as a traditional day student, visit our campus military page.)
  • An SNHU admission counselor will contact you, usually by phone, to confirm your application.
  • Inform your counselor you're currently serving or are a veteran and that you'll be using your military benefits.

Step 3: Submit paperwork documenting your prior education.

  • Send your admission counselor an attestation form certifying you have a high school diploma or GED.
  • If you are transferring credits from a post-secondary military or civilian institution, your counselor will also need your transcripts.
    • For any credits earned through military training or institutions while serving in the Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps and Navy, a Joint Service Transcript may be requested by Southern New Hampshire University on your behalf. Please complete a Joint Service Transcript Request Form to allow us to retrieve these.
    • If you intend to transfer credits earned through the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) or from a previously attended civilian college or university (U.S. only), complete a transcript request form to allow us to retrieve your transcripts directly from those institutions.

Step 4: Review acceptance and benefits.

Each branch of the military has specific benefits, as do veterans and spouses. Choose the section below that's applicable to you.

Step 5: Review Financial Assistance Information

  • Southern New Hampshire University encourages you to file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine eligibility for federal, state, and institutional aid programs. You may be eligible for financial assistance that includes grant money and/or work-study funds.
    • Please review Applying for Financial Aid to understand the FAFSA process. You may apply for federal student aid at any time while planning to enroll or currently enrolled through June 30th each year.
    • Veteran's education benefits are excluded from the definition of estimated financial assistance when determining federal financial aid eligibility.
  • There are several need-based and non-need based federal, state, local, private, and institutional financial assistance programs available to SNHU students. Learn more about Federal, State, Grants, and Scholarship, Federal Work-Study, and Student Loans.
  • To understand your student aid rights and responsibilities, awarding of aid, reporting additional financial awards, over-awards, financial aid shopping sheet, verification, secondary confirmation, enrollment requirements, disbursement, use, credit balances/refunds, penalties for drug law violations, aid duration and renewal process, please review Financial Aid Terms and Conditions.
  • You should review the 'Financial Assistance Information' outlined in our consumer information for additional information.

Step 6: Ask us questions.

  • Once you're enrolled at SNHU, you'll be assigned a dedicated military academic advisor. Turn to your military advisor for help with any questions or issues you may have as you progress through your degree program.
Montgomery GI Bill Logo
Post 9/11 GI Bill Logo
Yellow Ribbon Program Logo

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by the VA is available at the official U.S. government website.