Author Gregory Maguire: 5 Wicked Tips for Writers
"Wicked" author Gregory Maguire helped SNHU celebrate the 10-year anniversary of our McIninch Art Gallery with a presentation and Q&A on Feb. 8.
He also offered some great advice for writers:
5 "Wicked" Tips for Writers from Author Gregory Maguire
- Write every day. Journal, postcard, Facebook entry; sonnet, screed or soliloquy. Doesn't matter. Every day.
- Read every day, but read outside your comfort zone. If you hate poetry, try it. If sports bores you, read sports. If you're red, read blue; if blue, red.
- Walk every day. You don't have to choose to think while you're walking. You will be thinking, deep down.
- Cut out the noise. Pull the plugs. Silence the garbage. To get decent reception for the broadcasts from your muse, you need to concentrate.
- Write as if someone's life depends on what you tell them. It just may be true.
Explore more content like this article
June 17, 2021
Photography is a wonderful medium for capturing reality, emotion, history and fantasy. Armed with the knowledge of camera technology, editing and equipment, and possibly paired with graphic design skills, you can make yourself marketable and your photography career nearly limitless.
September 24, 2020
To become a copywriter you can consider earning a degree such as marketing, communications or creative writing and start building a portfolio of your work.