Get Ready for Six Sigma Certification
- $627 per credit for 12 credits
- Complete in as little as 6 months
- Boost your career in project management
- Upskill for the job you want
- Apply certificate courses to an MS in Project Management
- Prepare for the Six Sigma Black Belt certification exam
Graduate Six Sigma Black Belt Certificate Program Overview
Pursue a coveted certification in the world of quality improvement. The Six Sigma Black Belt Graduate Certificate online program was designed to help you prepare for the Six Sigma Black Belt certification exam.
If you're ready to become a change agent improving an organization's efficiency through project leadership, this program could be a good choice for you. Through a thorough study of Six Sigma principles and the define, measure, analyze, improve and control (DMAIC) model, this program will help you in gaining the knowledge needed to become a Certified Six Sigma Black Belt.
The Six Sigma online graduate certificate program is especially beneficial to individuals working in manufacturing and production-oriented industries, as well as consumer-facing roles. This certificate program also lets you apply your Six Sigma graduate coursework toward a Master of Science in Project Management and Operations from SNHU.
Learn how to:
- Apply basic lean enterprise concepts and be a leader in agency of change
- Demonstrate advanced understanding of the define measure, analyze, improve and control phases of project management
- Assign team member roles and responsibilities in context of team dynamics
- Ensure efficient processes, implementation and analysis
Six Sigma is one of the most commonly used quality management methods in the modern business world, and Black Belt certification is a way to show off your expertise. Our online Six Sigma Black Belt graduate certificate program provides the educational knowledge that can help you prepare for Six Sigma Black Belt certification.
In the Six Sigma Black Belt Graduate Certificate program, you'll gain the knowledge and skills needed to help you establish process improvements in quality assurance, systems and process engineering, logistics, supply chain management, operations management and procurement.
These skills are highly sought after by businesses and supply chains and are especially beneficial to professionals in manufacturing, engineering, operations and executive positions. After completing the program, you might explore positions like:
- General/operations manager. Be in charge of the planning, strategies and policies that help organizations reach their goals in an efficient manner. You'll oversee large strategic initiatives and direct daily business operations. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reports a median annual salary of $100,780 for this role in 2019.1
- Industrial production manager. Want to work in manufacturing? Coordinate, plan and direct production operations within an organization. You'll put your knowledge of scheduling, budgeting and data analysis to work to streamline the production process. According to the BLS, industrial production managers made a median annual salary of $105,480 in May 2019.1
- Management analyst: Find ways to increase efficiency in an organization. You'll analyze data to advise managers on how they can improve their businesses by reducing costs and increasing revenue. BLS reports a median annual wage of $85,260 for management analysts as of May 2019.1
Finishing your graduate certificate and earning the distinction as a Certified Six Sigma Black Belt could help give you a competitive advantage in the job market. Not only do these accomplishments qualify your expertise, but they could also signal to employers that you're a hard worker who's serious about professional development.
This program is designed to help you prepare for the Six Sigma Black Belt certification exam. However, it neither guarantees to help satisfy the eligibility requirements for taking a Six Sigma Black Belt certification exam nor ensures a passing grade on a Six Sigma Black Belt certification exam.
Start Your Journey Toward an Online Six Sigma Black Belt Certificate
Why SNHU For Your Six Sigma Black Belt Certificate
With no set class meeting times, you can learn on your schedule and access online course materials 24/7.
Take advantage of some of the lowest online tuition rates in the nation.
Founded in 1932, Southern New Hampshire University is a private, nonprofit institution with over 100,000 graduates across the country. SNHU is regionally accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE), which advocates for institutional improvement and public assurance of quality.
Recently, SNHU has been nationally recognized for leading the way toward more innovative, affordable and achievable education:
- “Most Innovative” regional university honors from U.S. News & World Report each year since 2015
- A $1 million grant from Google.org to explore soft skills assessments for high-need youth
- Recognition as a 2017 Digital Learning Innovator by the Online Learning Consortium
At Southern New Hampshire University, you'll have access to a powerful network of more than 200,000 students, alumni and staff that can help support you long after graduation. Our instructors offer relevant, real-world expertise to help you understand and navigate the field. Plus, with our growing, nationwide alumni network, you'll have the potential to tap into a number of internship and career opportunities.
96.5% of students would recommend SNHU.2 Discover why SNHU may be right for you.
Part of our mission to expand access to quality, higher education means removing the barriers that may stand between you and your degree. That’s why you can apply at any time and get a decision within days of submitting all required materials — with no GRE or GMAT required.
Acceptance decisions are made on a rolling basis throughout the year for our 5 graduate terms.
How to Apply
Simply contact an admission counselor, who can answer all your questions and walk you through the application process, which includes:
- Completing a graduate application
- Providing undergraduate transcripts
Courses & Curriculum
This graduate certificate will help you become effective in using the DMAIC approach to identify the root causes of process inefficiencies and eliminate them. Your study of this approach to quality management and process improvements will help you develop skills in:
- Determining the cause of process problems and issues
- Using statistical tools to measure and analyze deviations from effective processes
- Taking corrective steps to eliminate issues and improve processes
- Controlling process deviations to ensure an efficient process and quality outcomes
If you're ready to pursue Six Sigma certification, this graduate certificate program is a great step. Enhance and update your project management skills in these 4 courses:
- Applied Statistics for Managers. Learn how to use the statistical tools and techniques that will help you make an impact on business process. Using real-world business examples, you'll analyze a multitude of cases in order to prepare you to apply your knowledge in your career.
- Six Sigma Quality Management. Design and implement quality control and improvement systems. You'll be introduced to modern methods of quality management, statistical quality control quality improvement techniques. You'll also discuss international standards on quality management. Using computer technology, you'll complete case studies.
- Six Sigma for Black Belt Certification. Designed to help you prepare for the Six Sigma Black Belt certification exam, this course will introduce advanced concepts in Six Sigma and gain a command for lean project management tools. You'll learn about team management, waste elimination, the DMAIC phases and the Design for Six Sigma (DFSS) approach. Note: This course alone doesn't guarantee to satisfy eligibility requirements for taking a Six Sigma Black Belt certification exam, nor does it ensure success on a Six Sigma Black Belt certification exam.
- Project Management. Study the concepts, tools and practices of project management. You'll learn the managerial process approach to project management, which consists of initiating, planning, executing, controlling and closing projects. Dive into subjects like scope, time, cost, quality, risk, resources, communications and how to manage projects effectively.
These courses were designed to give you an in-depth understanding of Six Sigma processes in order to help you prepare for Six Sigma certification. Each certification provider has specific requirements to sit for the exam that may not be covered by this program alone. SNHU does not guarantee a passing grade on the Six Sigma Black Belt certification exam as a result of completing this program.
Have you been considering earning a full graduate degree in project management or operations, but aren't sure? This master's-level certificate program can be completed in 6 months, and you can apply the 12 credits toward our master's in project management if you decide to continue your education further.
|View Full Curriculum in the Catalog|
|Graduate Certificate in Six Sigma Black Belt|
|Courses May Include|
|Graduate Certificate Six Sigma Black Belt|
|QSO 530||Applied Statistics for Managers||This course will provide the students with statistical tools and techniques that will enable them to make an immediate impact in their careers. This course will be realistically oriented and numerous business examples and cases will be analyzed.|
|QSO 620||Six Sigma Quality Management||This course is designed to provide an understanding of the design and implementation of quality control and improvement systems. It is an introduction to current quality management approaches, statistical quality control and quality improvement techniques. ISO-9000 also will be discussed. Case studies and the use of computer technology will be integral to the course.|
|QSO 625||Six Sigma for Black Belt Certification||This course teaches advanced concepts in Six Sigma while incorporating Lean Management tools. Students learn waste elimination, value stream mapping, Six Sigma roles and responsibilities, team management, and the various elements of the Define-Measure-Analyze-Improve-Control (DMAIC) phases of a Six Sigma project. The Design for Six Sigma (SFSS) approach to design a new process is also reviewed. The course is designed to help students prepare for a Six Sigma Black Belt certification exam. However, it neither guarantees to help satisfy the eligibility requirements for taking a Six Sigma Black Belt certification exam nor ensures success on a Six Sigma Black Belt certification exam.|
|QSO 640||Project Management||This course includes the study of concepts, tools, and practices of project management. The course adopts a managerial process approach to Project Management, which consists of initiating, planning, executing, controlling and closing the project. Major topics will include project scope, project time, project cost, project quality, project risk, project resources, project communications and how to be an effective project manager. Cases are utilized to integrate the learning in the course and provide decision- making experience for the student.|
|Total Credits: 12|
Tuition & Fees
Tuition rates for SNHU's online degree programs are among the lowest in the nation. We offer a 25% tuition discount for U.S. service members, both full and part time, and the spouses of those on active duty.
|Online Graduate Programs||Per Course||Per Credit Hour||Annual Cost for 15 credits|
(U.S. service members, both full and part time, and the spouses of those on active duty)
Tuition rates are subject to change and are reviewed annually.
$150 Graduation Fee, Course Materials ($ varies by course)
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I get my Six Sigma certification?
Multiple organizations administer Six Sigma certification exams. If you're looking to become a Certified Six Sigma Black Belt (CSSBB), ASQ – the American Society for Quality – is a well-known organization with global recognition.
To receive your Six Sigma Black Belt certification from ASQ, you'll have to first meet some requirements:
- 3 years of full-time employment that on-the-job experience in one or more of the areas of the CSSBB Body of Knowledge
- 1 completed Six Sigma project with a signed affidavit
If you do not have 3 years of work experience, you can opt to submit signed affidavits for 2 Six Sigma projects you've completed instead.
Before sitting for the exam, you'll want to study. Depending on your years of experience and how much time you can allot for studying each week, this could take you a month, a year or anywhere in between.
SNHU's graduate certificate in Six Sigma Black Belt can help you master the competencies outlined in the CSSBB Body of Knowledge. This 4-course master's-level program is completely online, giving you the flexibility to complete it while working full time.
Finally, you'll then take the multiple-choice exam online. This 165-question exam tests your awareness of the CSSBB Body of Knowledge. By taking the exam for Six Sigma certification online, you'll receive your pass/fail results immediately.
Can you get a Six Sigma Black Belt online?
Yes, you can take the exam for Six Sigma Black Belt certification online after meeting all of the criteria to sit for the exam. Since there is no single authorizing agency that lists a body of knowledge, requirements for Six Sigma Black Belt certification are unique to each certifying body.
ASQ – the American Society for Quality – is recognized as a leader in Six Sigma. ASQ provides an online version of the CSSBB exam. This computer-based test is a scheduled 4.5-hour exam made up of 165 multiple-choice questions.
ASQ has requirements for sitting for its Six Sigma Black Belt exam. These requirements include 3 years of relevant full-time employment and completion of a Six Sigma project.
How long does it take to get Six Sigma certified?
Becoming Six Sigma certified could take you anywhere from a few months to 3 years depending on your experience, which Six Sigma certification you want and the organization you take the exam with.
One of the most recognized Six Sigma certifications is the Six Sigma Black Belt certification. The American Society for Quality (ASQ) – a respected community of quality professionals – requires 3 years of full-time professional experience and a completed Six Sigma project. If you have met these requirements, you'll want to study and apply to take the exam.
You might want to take a course or program that specializes in Six Sigma Black Belt certification. Southern New Hampshire University provides a 4-course master's-level certificate in Six Sigma Black Belt to help you prepare for the certification exam. This program provides in-depth information on the Six Sigma Body of Knowledge, helping you build the skills you'll need to pass the Six Sigma Black Belt certification exam.
Even better? SNHU boasts some of the lowest tuition rates in the nation, and the graduate certificate program can be completed entirely online. This makes the Graduate Certificate in Six Sigma Black Belt from SNHU a great choice in preparing for your Six Sigma certification exam.
Is Six Sigma training worth it?
Whether it's Six Sigma education, training or formal certification, it's something worth adding to your resume – especially if you work in environments like manufacturing and supply chain management.
Since its rise in the 1990s, Six Sigma has remained a tried-and-true process in the industry. Having a background in Six Sigma principles, processes and tools could help your career path as it is useful across many industries – not to mention in demand by employers.
Ultimately, the worth of Six Sigma training depends on your goals. There are a few different levels of certification in Six Sigma, including Yellow Belt, Green Belt, Black Belt and Master Black Belt.
Becoming a Certified Six Sigma Black Belt is an impressive feat that qualifies your skills and knowledge in areas such as cost reduction, increasing revenue, streamlining business processes and improving employee buy-in. If you need more education and training before taking your exam, you'll want to look into reputable programs.
Southern New Hampshire University offers the Six Sigma Black Belt Graduate Certificate, an online, 4-course master's-level program designed to help help you in preparing for Six Sigma Green Belt and Black Belt certification exams. You'll study topics that help you effectively implement the define, measure, analyze, improve and control (DMAIC) approach to identify the root causes of process inefficiencies and eliminate them.
This training can help you two-fold. First, by earning a graduate certificate, you'll have evidence of formal education that helps qualify your expertise. And, if you go on to earn your Six Sigma Black Belt, you'll have a professional certification widely recognized in the world of quality improvement.
Southern New Hampshire University is a private, nonprofit institution accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE) as well as several other accrediting bodies.
Sources & Citations (1, 2)
1 Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, on the internet, at:
- https://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/top-executives.htm (viewed Oct. 22, 2020)
- https://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/industrial-production-managers.htm (viewed Oct. 22, 2020)
- https://www.bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/management-analysts.htm (viewed Oct. 22, 2020)
Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
2 According to survey responses from over 9,200 SNHU online students conducted in the fall of 2019.