Private Loan Information
Private education loans are through an outside lender to help finance the unmet cost of attendance at Southern New Hampshire University. We recommend that you apply for financial aid by completing the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) before exploring private loans to ensure receipt of maximum federal, state and university aid.
Approval and interest rates are based on the credit worthiness of the student borrower and cosigner and vary from lender to lender. You should exhaust all federal, state and university options including the Federal Parent PLUS Loan and Federal Graduate PLUS Loan before borrowing a private loan.
It is highly recommended that you apply for an entire year's worth of funding at one time thereby eliminating credit checks and additional processing time.
Questions to ask when exploring a private loan lender:
- What is my FICO score and/or the FICO of my co-signer?
- Are there loan fees or repayment fees?
- What is the interest rate range? Is the rate fixed or variable? If variable, how high can the rate go?
- When does repayment begin? Are in-school payments required? What will the monthly payment be? What will the total cost of the loan be?
- How do they evaluate the Co-Signer (credit score, history, debt-to-income ratio)? Can they be released after a certain number of payments?
- Are there interest rate reductions for automatic withdrawal payments or having an existing account? Are there deferment or forbearance options available?
- Is the loan forgivable in the case of death or disability?