Start a UX Career with an In-Depth Certificate
- Complete in 9 months
- Designed for full-time workers
- Tuition: $12,500
- Financial options available, including Federal Student Aid
- Credits may apply to an SNHU degree (if eligible)
- Flexible scheduling
UX (user experience) and UI (user interface) design is the intersection of art and tech where UX designers create the visuals, functionality, usability, accessibility and overall user experience for a product or service.
Think about your most-used mobile app or the website of your favorite retailer. Behind that software application or e-commerce site is a UX designer who researches user needs, builds wireframes, innovates features and tests its usability. UX/UI designers create a responsive design and make the user experience interactive and enjoyable.
If you’re a creative critical thinker who’s interested in coding and web design, then Kenzie Academy's UX Design program and a career as a UX designer may be a fulfilling path for you. The UX Design program teaches the design thinking process of research, iteration, prototyping and testing.
The UX bootcamp-style program also provides training on how to:
- Perform user research and empathize with the user
- Synthesize findings to generate ideas and design solutions
- Iterate upon solutions
- Test prototypes and usability
- Build applications
To create an accessible and responsive design, you’ll also learn aspects of frontend web development, design principles, and HTML and CSS. Then upon completing this program, you’ll be equipped with design tools, as well as have the technical skills to solve real-world problems by bringing digital ideas to life through practical application.
If the idea of working on a webpage design or app design sounds exciting, then earning a UX certificate may be the next move for you.
The need for UX/UI designers and web design talent is rising at a rapid pace as companies and businesses are increasingly investing in UX design. To stay competitive, they demand skills from qualified user experience industry professionals.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the job outlook for web developers and digital designers is expected to increase by 13% – faster than average – with an employment change of 25,500 and about 17,900 projected job openings each year by 2030.1 Generally speaking, the job outlook for industry professionals with web design UX skills and UX experience is steadily on the rise.
Related jobs include:
- UX researchers
- Product designers
- UX writers
- Information architects
- UX strategists
- UX analysts
- UX managers
- UX consultants
- UX developers
- Visual designers (depending on experience, skill set and skill level)
Courses & Curriculum
Kenzie Academy’s web design UX bootcamp is developed to emulate a first-year internship experience in the industry. One feature of the curriculum is portfolio design in which learners generate compelling case studies outlining their design process and incorporate these into a robust, industry-ready portfolio. The curriculum also includes:
- Best practices for graphic user interface (GUI) design in the areas of form design, screen states, UX writing and icons
- Visual hierarchy to GUI design
- Interviewing user types about design solutions, gathering/classifying feedback and iterating
- Presentation and telling a compelling visual story about a process
- Producing high-fidelity mockups prior to producing a prototype ready for development
- Learning how designs are interpreted into code
- How to modify and identify HTML form factors on websites and communicate in code to a developer
UX design courses include:
- UX Fundamentals: Understand design tooling to use when identifying, designing, documenting and generating abstract ideas in applying design thinking to solve a problem
- UI Fundamentals: Use data and feedback knowledge to create a high-fidelity screen of an onboarding flow for user entry into a system using Figma with meaningful calls to action drawing users attention
- Application Design: Iterate on high-fidelity application designs to create a live prototype by implementing user feedback and newly introduced UI design principles including components and iconography
- UX Industry Readiness: Apply practical UI design principles by designing a mobile responsive application using object pins and constraints to scale at any viewpoint and easily convert into a desktop application
|View Full Curriculum in the Catalog|
|Certificate in UX Design|
Frequently Asked Questions
Where can I learn more about Kenzie Academy, the program and tuition?
Visit Kenzie Academy for more information about the online coding and tech school, including details about the program, tuition payment options and more.
Is web design a good career?
UX, user experience or web design is a rewarding and meaningful career path for creative individuals who have an empathetic, curious and open mindset.
Understanding and creating the user experience requires research, technical and problem-solving skills — as well as the ability to generate ideas, explore problems and find solutions.
In application and webpage design, you’re improving the lives of people while making a difference in the tech world.
Is a web design certificate worth it?
Whether you want to break into tech or expand upon your technical skills, earning a certificate in UX design is a valuable move.
For one, training to become a UX designer opens up a world of opportunity, from exciting job openings to higher earning potential. The UX Design Institute also calls the tech area a “great conversion career.”2
UX/user experience, developer and coding skills are transferable — so you can continue to learn more, expand your skill set and advance your career into different disciplines.
Will I get a UX design certification?
At Kenzie Academy, you'll earn a UX certificate and not certification. With a certificate, you can show employers that you’ve gained job-ready user experience design skills and knowledge from a postsecondary school.
The difference between a UX design certificate and UX design certification is that professional associations, national organizations and employers issue certifications. A certification is a standardized credential certifying someone to work in the industry who must complete academic credentials and pass an exam.
At Kenzie Academy, however, you’re able to obtain the UX design certificate and get relevant technical training in only 9 months — longer than a bootcamp, yet shorter than a 4-year degree program.
Sources & Citations (1, 2)
1Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, on the internet, at https://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/web-developers.htm (viewed Feb. 2, 2022). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
2UX Design Institute, “Want a career in UX? Here’s why it’s a smart move,” on the internet, at https://www.uxdesigninstitute.com/blog/want-a-career-in-ux/ (viewed Feb. 3, 2022).