Skip to main content

Bringing your family to the US

There are many things to consider when bringing your family with you to the U.S. Below, you’ll find some helpful information which we hope will clarify the process and provide useful advice about making a successful transition to the area.

Applying for Visas for Dependents

International students and scholars in the U.S. with F-1 or J-1 status may apply for their spouse and/or children to accompany them to the U.S. at any time during their program. Children must be under the age of 21 in order to be eligible for an F-2 or J-2 visa. To apply for an F-2 or J-2 visa for a spouse and/or child(ren), the student or scholar (F-1 or J-1) must first fill out SNHU’s F-2 and J-2 Dependent I-20/DS-2019 Request Form. 

The following information will need to be provided with your request:

  • Proof of marriage for a spouse
  • Proof of birth date and birthplace of spouse, if not on marriage certificate
  • Proof of birth for a child
  • Copy of passport information page or national identification document for each dependent
  • Proof of financial support for yourself as well as an additional amount for each dependent will be required. The financial support evidence should be within the last 6 months. Please speak with your admission counselor for further information.
  • Dependent’s email address if over the age of 14

SNHU's International Student Services office will then issue an I-20 or DS-2019 form for each dependent.

Dependents should bring the original documentation with them to the U.S. Embassy/Consulate when applying for the F-2 or J-2 visa. Upon arrival in the U.S., the International Student Services office will also need to see the original documentation.

For more information, contact

Healthcare for Dependents

In the U.S., individuals must pay for healthcare treatment or have health insurance which covers many of these costs. Students who have F-2 dependents living with them in the U.S. are strongly encouraged to have health insurance for their dependents. Students and scholars with J-2 dependents must purchase health insurance for their dependents as this is required by law.

As healthcare treatment in the U.S. is considered expensive, make sure to research healthcare options and purchase appropriate coverage for your dependents as soon as possible. If you have questions or would like further information about healthcare options or coverage, please contact International Student Services at

Family Guide for International Students and Scholars

Our International Student Family Guide provides a variety of information about relocating to the Manchester area. Along with recommendations on finding off-campus housing, we also include information about the area, schools, medical care in the U.S., driving, weather, travel and ways for your family to connect with the community.